The Greenfield Public Library serves as a public center for enrichment, entertainment, access to technology, self-directed learning and the exploration of ideas. The Library serves all members of the community, regardless of age, income, education, religious or political beliefs and makes no judgment on the nature of individual inquiry.
The GPL is currently housed in the Leavitt-Hovey House which was designed by Asher Benjamin, the writer of the first architectural pattern book published in America. Built in 1797 for Atty. Jonathan Leavitt, it was later owned by George Hovey, a local area merchant. In 1907 the Town of Greenfield purchased the building for the purpose of renovating it to become a public library. While the exterior was preserved, the wings needed to be rebuilt. The library opened on January 11, 1909 with close to a thousand people in attendance. (Kellogg, History of Greenfield 1900 – 1929).
Get a Library Card
How Do I Apply
While the library is closed to the public, please call or email us. We will call you back, gather some information, and mail your new card to you along with an application form you will need to return once patrons are able to come back in the building.
10 Audio books
20 Music CDs
50 Items total
While there is a limit of 20 holds on a card, we ask that during this time you limit yourself to 5 Greenfield item holds. Delivery is restarting slowly, so while you may request items from other libraries, we do not know when they will be available for you.
Books, Audio Books & Music CDs…………3 weeks plus 1 renewal
Magazines, Bestsellers & DVDs…………1 week plus 1 renewal
Museum Passes…………Same-day loan. No renewals. Note: Museum passes are currently not available.
All items with renewals remaining on them now auto-renew. Otherwise, there are three ways to renew your materials:
- Online through the library catalog
- In person at the Library during our doorside pickup hours
- By phone during Library hours (413-772-1544)
Print and Audio Materials fees are 10¢ per day. Maximum of $3 per item
DVD fees are $1 per day. Maximum of $5 per item
Museum Passes fees are $5 per day. Maximum of $25 per pass
* Cards with $10 or more in fees are blocked from borrowing library materials. You may not use another patron’s card to access computers or check out materials.
* You may pay your fines and fees with your credit or debit card online.
* Fines for items due while the library was closed for the COVID-19 crisis have been suspended.
Update Your Account
Feel free to call the library during our regular hours (413-772-1544) or email us to renew your library account.
The library is currently open for doorside pick-up of holds or answering questions at the following times:
- Mon-Wed from 2pm-6pm
- Thu-Sat from 10am-2pm
Call or email us with any questions you may have. We are happy to help.
- Circulation Desk: 413-772-1544, option 4
- Children’s Room: 413-772-1544, option 5
- Information Services: 413-772-1544, option 6
- Greenfield Public Library
- 402 Main Street
- Greenfield, MA 01301
LIBRARY DIRECTOR, Ellen Boyer
- 413-772-1544 x 5109