The Greenfield Public Library serves as a public center for enrichment, entertainment, access to technology, self-directed learning and the exploration of ideas. The Library serves all members of the community, regardless of age, income, education, religious or political beliefs and makes no judgment on the nature of individual inquiry.
The GPL is currently housed in the Leavitt-Hovey House which was designed by Asher Benjamin, the writer of the first architectural pattern book published in America. Built in 1797 for Atty. Jonathan Leavitt, it was later owned by George Hovey, a local area merchant. In 1907 the Town of Greenfield purchased the building for the purpose of renovating it to become a public library. While the exterior was preserved, the wings needed to be rebuilt. The library opened on January 11, 1909 with close to a thousand people in attendance. (Kellogg, History of Greenfield 1900 – 1929).
Get a Library Card
How Do I Apply
While the library is closed to the public, please call or email us. We will call you back, gather some information, and mail your new card to you along with an application form you will need to return once patrons are able to come back in the building. Alternatively, you can start the process online, and a librarian will be in touch about completing your card.
10 Audio books
20 Music CDs
50 Items total
There is a limit of 20 holds on a card at any one time.
Books, Audio Books & Music CDs…………3 weeks plus 1 renewal
Magazines, Bestsellers & DVDs…………1 week plus 1 renewal
Museum Passes…………Same-day loan. No renewals.
All items with renewals remaining on them now auto-renew. Otherwise, there are three ways to renew your materials:
- Online through the library catalog
- In person at the Library during our doorside pickup hours
- By phone (413-772-1544) during Library hours or email (email@example.com)
Print and Audio Materials fees are 10¢ per day. Maximum of $3 per item
DVD fees are $1 per day. Maximum of $5 per item
Museum Passes fees are $5 per day. Maximum of $25 per pass
* Cards with $10 or more in fees are blocked from borrowing library materials. You may not use another patron’s card to access computers or check out materials.
* You may pay your fines and fees with your credit or debit card online.
* Fines for items due while the library was closed for the COVID-19 crisis have been suspended.
Update Your Account
Feel free to call the library during our regular hours (413-772-1544) or email us to renew your library account.
GPL is open at the following times:
- Monday-Wednesday from 9:30am-8pm
- Thursday-Friday from 9:30am-5pm
- Saturday from 9:30am-2pm
Call or email us with any questions you may have.
- Circulation Desk: 413-772-1544, option 4
- Children’s Room: 413-772-1544, option 5
- Information Services: 413-772-1544, option 6
- Greenfield Public Library
- 402 Main Street
- Greenfield, MA 01301
LIBRARY DIRECTOR, Ellen Boyer
- 413-772-1544 x 5109