About the Greenfield public Library
The Greenfield Public Library serves as a public center for enrichment, entertainment, access to technology, self-directed learning and the exploration of ideas. The Library serves all members of the community, regardless of age, income, education, religious or political beliefs and makes no judgment on the nature of individual inquiry.
The GPL is currently housed in the Leavitt-Hovey House which was designed by Asher Benjamin, the writer of the first architectural pattern book published in America. Built in 1797 for Atty. Jonathan Leavitt, it was later owned by George Hovey, a local area merchant. In 1907 the Town of Greenfield purchased the building for the purpose of renovating it to become a public library. While the exterior was preserved, the wings needed to be rebuilt. The library opened on January 11, 1909 with close to a thousand people in attendance. (Kellogg, History of Greenfield 1900 – 1929).
Get a Library Card
How Do I Apply?
You can get an ecard online by clicking here. That will allow you to borrow items from our digital collection immediately.
A physical card will allow you access to all of our physical and digital materials in addition to shared physical collections from member Central and Western Massachusetts libraries (CW/MARS). Just stop into the library during open hours, with a photo ID, such as a state license, state ID or passport with your current address. If your ID doesn't have your current address, also bring in a piece of mail with your current address. You'll need to fill out a short application and you will be a new member of the library with access to thousands of books, DVD's, music CD's, audiobooks, museum passes and more!
10 Audio books
20 Music CDs
50 Items total
There is a limit of 20 holds on a card at any one time.
Books, Audio Books & Music CDs…………3 weeks plus 1 renewal
Magazines, Bestsellers & DVDs…………1 week plus 1 renewal
Museum Passes…………Same-day loan. No renewals.
All items with renewals remaining on them now auto-renew. Otherwise, there are three ways to renew your materials:
- Online through the library catalog
- In person at the Library during our doorside pickup hours
- By phone (413-772-1544) during Library hours or email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Late Fees only apply to museum passes.
Museum Pass fees are $5 per day. Maximum of $25 per pass.
* Cards with a balance of $10 or more in bills are blocked from borrowing library materials. You may not use another patron’s card to access computers or check out materials.
* You may pay money owed with your credit or debit card online.
To Update Your Account:
Feel free to call the library during our regular hours (413-772-1544) or email us at email@example.com to renew your library account.
GPL is open at the following times:
- Monday-Wednesday from 9:30am-6pm
- Thursday-Friday from 9:30am-5pm
- Saturday from 9:30am-2pm
Call or email us with any questions you may have.
- Circulation Desk: 413-772-1544, option 4
- Children’s Room: 413-772-1544, option 5
- Information Services: 413-772-1544, option 6
- Greenfield Public Library
- 402 Main Street
- Greenfield, MA 01301
LIBRARY DIRECTOR, Ellen Boyer
- 413-772-1544 x 5109