Library Behavior Guidelines
Greenfield Public Library is a resource available to all. The library maintains a safe and healthy atmosphere in which patrons and staff can be free from harassment, intimidation, and threats to their safety and well-being. In order to protect all library users’ right of access to library facilities, to ensure the safety of users and staff, and to protect library resources and facilities from damage, the library governing authority, in this case the Board of Trustees, may impose reasonable restrictions on the time, place, or manner of library access.
Patrons and staff are expected to follow the code of behavior. Failure to adhere to this policy may result in the limitation of library privileges by the library director or designees.
- Patrons and staff will treat everyone with respect.
- Food Policy
- Covered beverages are allowed throughout the building
- Neat food consumption is allowed in the Periodicals Lounge or on the second floor balcony (except during scheduled events where written permission to do so has been obtained in advance from the library Director).
- The building and grounds are tobacco-free and smoke-free. Cigarettes, vaping, e-cigarettes, and loose tobacco are prohibited.
- Disruptive behavior is not permitted. The library staff determines what conduct constitutes disruptive behavior.
- Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied and supervised at all times by a parent or caregiver. Librarians, staff and volunteers are not responsible for children who are unattended. See Children’s Room Policy.
- Canvassing, selling, soliciting or distributing materials is prohibited except when written permission to do so has been obtained in advance from the library director with the exception of election-related signature gathering which is permissible on the grounds as long as it does not interfere with accessing the building.
- Blocking of entrances, exits, or aisles is not permitted.
- Only service animals are permitted inside the library. No animals may be left tethered or unattended for extended periods of time.
- Use of skateboards, rollerblades, roller-skates, or scooters is not allowed in the Library, or on Library premises.
- Restroom sinks shall not be used for washing clothes or bathing.
- Bringing in garbage, articles with a foul odor, or articles which, alone or in their aggregate, impede the use of the library by others is not allowed.
- all bags and other articles are subject to inspection by security and other authorized personnel.
- the library reserves the right to limit the size and number of items brought into the building
- Library materials must be checked out before removing them from the building.
- Destruction or defacement of the library building, property, or library materials is punishable by law.
- Dangerous weapons are not allowed on library property.
The following activities constitute unacceptable use:
- Using library workstations for any illegal or criminal purpose that violates local, state, or federal laws (including, but not limited to, committing fraud; hacking; or engaging in communications which are libelous or slanderous);
- Viewing pornography;
- Deliberately displaying obscene images
To allow for uninterrupted public service, Library telephones are for staff use only.
Approved by the Board of Library Trustees 2/13/2024.
To be reviewed yearly, or as needed.
For security purposes, the upstairs floor closes 15 minutes before closing time. Main doors are locked 5 minutes before closing.
- Circulation Desk: 413-772-1544, option 4
- Children’s Room: 413-772-1544, option 5
- Information Services: 413-772-1544, option 6
- Greenfield Public Library
- 412 Main Street
- Greenfield, MA 01301
LIBRARY DIRECTOR, Anna Bognolo
- 413-772-1544 x 5109