Computer Use — Wired and Wireless
The library provides computers so people can access the Internet, use Microsoft Office programs to type letters or resumes, make publications or slide-show presentations, create spreadsheets, or take online practice tests. Two computers are set aside for research on the databases provided by the state, C/W MARS, and those purchased by the library. The library also has WiFi capability for patrons with their own laptops or other wireless devices. Copies of the library’s Patron Computer Use Policy are also available at the circulation desk.
The library’s high-speed Internet access (wired network) has been donated by Comcast. Wireless Internet access (high-speed DSL) has been generously donated by Crocker Communications. Thanks to both of these businesses for their support of the Greenfield Public Library.
RULES & PROCEDURES FOR INTERNET USE
- A valid C/W MARS library card is required in order to sign on to the computers. Guest cards are available for occasional use by out-of-town visitors. All computer use policies apply to guest users.
- Computers may be used twice per day for an hour each time. If no reservations exist, users will be offered additional time in 15 minute increments.
- Computers can be reserved at the Computer Reservation Station for a one-hour time period during the current day only and are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations are only held for 10 minutes past the assigned time. Phone or web reservations are not possible.
- Users may bring in their own portable storage devices to save their work. Not all files or attachments can be downloaded.
- Office 2007 software is available on each computer in addition to Internet access.
- A Quick Check Computer is available for short sessions. Users are limited to one use per day. There is a self-service sign-in sheet next to the computer.
- Persons with outstanding debt on their library record may only use the Quick Check computer.
- There is a printing charge of 10 cents per page.
- Computers in the Children’s Room are reserved for the use of children ages 13 and younger, and their accompanying parents or caregivers. Users of Children’s Room computers are limited to 30 minutes and should sign up at the desk in the Children’s Room. These computers contain Office 2007 programs and Internet access.
- The Library provides free Internet access points for users with portable computers or devices capable of receiving wireless signals. These access points allow uses to access the Internet from their laptop computers or other devices when sitting within range of the access points. Signal strength may vary in the building, and no guarantee can be provided that users will be able to make a wireless connection.
- Library staff is not able to provide technical assistance with patron equipment, and the library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment, laptop configurations, security, or data files resulting from connection to the Library’s wireless network. All wireless access users should have up-to-date virus protection on their laptop computer or wireless device.
- Patron laptop computers must be already equipped with a wireless network card (802.11 b/g) to use the library’s access points.
- Be sure to have a headset with you if you plan to listen to audio files. While the Library owns several sets of headsets, they may be in use by patrons using the wired network or may not be compatible with your equipment. Patrons listening to audio files without headsets will be asked to mute the volume on their devices.
- The Library’s wireless connection is not secure. Any information being sent or received could potentially be intercepted by another wireless user. For your own protection, you should not transmit credit card information, passwords, or any other sensitive, personal information while using the Library’s wireless connection.
- Printers are not available through the Library’s wireless connection. If you need to print, please save your work to a portable storage device or email files to yourself. You may then sign up to use the library’s wired network to send jobs to the public printer. Printing costs $.10 per page.
- Use of the Library’s wireless network is governed by the Library’s Acceptable Use (Computers and Internet) Policy. By using the wireless network, patrons are agreeing to abide by the policy as stated.
For security purposes, the upstairs floor closes 15 minutes before closing time. Main doors are locked 5 minutes before closing.
- Circulation Desk: 413-772-1544, option 4
- Children’s Room: 413-772-1544, option 5
- Information Services: 413-772-1544, option 6
- Greenfield Public Library
- 412 Main Street
- Greenfield, MA 01301
LIBRARY DIRECTOR, Anna Bognolo
- 413-772-1544 x 5109